Should You Keep Your Best Content, or Give it Away? Part 2
- You are using your content to a site that is someone else’s
- Your reputation will be affected by the reputation of the site hosting the content
- The content can be easily removed at any time
- The site hosting the content could shut down.
- Below are some of the pros and cons of having your content on your own site.
- There is no middleman involved, you are directly driving traffic to your site
- You have total control over the content
- If you happen to build links, the links are going to help your site and not that of someone else.
- You are building the authority of your site
- If you happen to get penalized, the chances of you getting traffic decreases.
- You might not get much return on investment (ROI) if you don’t get decent traffic.
- The audience you are reaching might not be diverse because of the demographics of your site.
- If your site is not popular, then there is a risk you might be losing a chance to attract links
Content types and where they go
Let’s have a look at the different types of content and see how and where they should be housed and why.
Evergreen content that is going to be updated. This is the type of content you need to keep on your site unless there is no traffic coming to your site. This is because you will have an easier time controlling the updates. Evergreen content can also be the perfect option for attracting quality links, so the links should be leading to your site. If for example, you have a site selling ceiling fans then you create a guide on choosing and installing ceiling fans using videos or step by step instructions, then you don’t want that content to be on any other site that is not yours.
One-off pieces. If you happen to have content that is considered a one-off piece, then it is a good idea to place it on other people’s website. If I want to write content on the best WordPress plug-ins, then the best option is putting it on a site that is about web design or WordPress, instead of my website which is about link building.
Lists of resources. I prefer keeping the main list on my own website and then I will try contributing pieces to the list, or even create a slightly different list that can be used for other sites. You will have an easier time updating it when it is on your own site. If I was interested in creating a list covering content creation tools, I can have lists such as “Top 10 free content creation tools of 2019” on other people’s site.
Always remember social platforms!
Social network platforms such as Medium and LinkedIn have been shown to be effective when it comes to generating of good traffic. You can use your Twitter account to give out tricks and tips, and also take part in Facebook groups. The platforms will provide you with quality traffic and you will also have an easier way of getting feedback because people will post comments on your content.
Content is more than just articles. It also includes videos, podcasts, infographics, survey results, case studies, slide decks, and more. Try the different types of content, and you will be able to attract quality content to your site.